Curious about paper crafting but don’t know where to begin? You’ve come to the right place. Below you’ll find a collection of basic tools that will get you started on your crafting adventure. So, what DO you need to get started?
- Basic White 8..5 x 11 and Basic White 8.5 x 11 Thick cardstock – Why both? Let’s start with the thick cardstock. When creating a card, you want a sturdy, thicker foundation, and when using white cardstock as your base, this is where you start. Our Basic White is perfect for layering, die cutting and fussy cutting (see the Paper Snips).
- If you’d rather go with an off-white color or want both, you could go with Thick Very Vanilla and Very Vanilla both in 8.5 x 11.
- Paper Trimmer – Every 8.5 x 11 piece of cardstock can be cut two different ways to create two card bases (5.5 x 4.25) or four card fronts. I can honestly say I’ve tried about every trimmer on the market in this price range and the SU Paper Trimmer has been the best hands down, and I’m not just saying that because I’m a demonstrator. Plus, this trimmer comes with a scoring tool that helps make folding that card base even easier.
- Bone Folder – Speaking of folding paper. A bone folder helps make those folds nice and crisp by breaking down the fibers in the paper.
- Paper Snips – Every crafter needs a pair of small but really sharp snips. For fussy cutting out any design, trimming bits of paper, etc, these are a must!
- Multipurpose Liquid Glue – I used to only use regular tape-based adhesive until I discovered this glue. A little goes a loooong way! It gives you a moment to adjust items you’re glueing before they’re stuck, it’s great for pieces big and small and I find that it holds up better than tape-based adhesive, especially in humid climates. Now, if you’re getting into creating paper boxes or thicker embellishments, that’s where our Stampin’ Seal+ comes in handy. In case you’re not a liquid glue kinda person, I’ve included links to our Stampin’ Seal and Stampin’ Seal+ below, too.
- Clear Blocks – These two sizes are basic sizes that will fit many stamps and are great for beginners. Our blocks come in a variety of size to fit our stamps. If you’d like one option without needing to worry about blocks, check out the Stamparatus further down the list.
- Tuxedo Black Momento Ink – Everyone needs black ink. It’s a staple. This ink works beautifully with our alcohol markers (Stampin’ Blends) and coloring with colored pencils or water color pencils.
- Simply Shammy – I LOVE my shammy! It has a spongy texture almost and it makes cleaning your stamps a snap. No chemicals, no lint!! Let it dry between. Ink will stain it, but that’s what it’s for. Just wash it and let it dry.
- Stamparatus Foam Mat and Deluxe Foam Mat – When you’re stamping with clear stamps, it’s very helpful to have a slightly “cushy” surface beneath your cardstock. Both are great! The Deluxe version has grid and measurement lines, which I find helpful for lining things up.
- Stamparatus – So, this last item is more of a luxury than a “getting started item. This gem can be used in place of blocks. How is it different? If you find that when you stamp that your images aren’t coming out as cleanly and crisply as you would like, trying to stamp again in the EXACT same place is almost impossible…unless you’re using a Stamparatus. It’s a perfect tool for getting your image inked just right, helping to stamp an image straight (like a sentiment), and it’s also wonderful for 2-step stamping.
- Copy Paper or Sketch Pad – Last but not least – head to your nearest dollar store and pick up a Sketch Pad of blank (cheap) paper. I use this under my cardstock when I’m stamping and image partially off the paper so I don’t have to clean my surface. I also use it for “stamping off” (2nd generation stamping) and for when I’m playing around so I don’t waste cardstock.
A couple of Extras – These “extras” come in handy if you want to add a bit of dimension to your cards, by elevating images or layers from your card base.
- Stampin’ Dimensionals – 300 3/8″ double-sided foam adhesive dots
- Mini Stampin’ Dimensionals – 720 1/4″ double-sided foam adhesive dots
- Black Stampin’ Dimensionals Combo Pack (200 regular and 480 mini)
If you’re ready to get started, clicking on any of the tools below will take you to my Stampin’ Up! store. I would love to help you on your crafting adventure, so please feel free to reach out! Be sure to use this month’s Host Code so you’ll be eligible for potential Host Rewards (Free products!) and thank you so much for choosing me as your demonstrator. I greatly appreciate your business!Product List